Generation I
                                                        


William Loghrin¹
b. 1773 - d. ~Oct. 11,1859²
Age 86        

Agnes Cooper¹
b. 1781 - d. 1847
Age 66


Family:
James Loghrin, b. 1809 - d. July 1, 1883                         Age 74¹ 
Thomas Loghrin, b. Jan. 11,1811* - d. May 6, 1875       Age 65¹
Alexander Loghrin, b. 1814 - d. 1844                                Age 30¹
Ann or Agnes¹º Loghrin b. ~1816
Martha Loghrin, b. ~1820 - d. Jan. 14, 1857¹¹
John Loghrin died young*

        ¹ Buried in family plot, Johnson Cemetery, Barrie Hill.
        ² Deaths, The British Constitution, Friday, Oct. 14, 1859 held at the Wellington County Archives
        ³ Information from www.theshipslist.com  ; printed copy is on file with Tom Loghrin.
        * Information received in a letter from Elizabeth Kot to Tom Loghrin Mar. 20, 2006
        ^* Deborah Quaile, Eramosa Anecdotes, (Ayton: Wordbird Press, 2007), p. 11.
        ¹* Quaile, p. 9.
        ²* Quaile, p. 7.
        **
Historical Atlas of the County of Wellington, Ontario, (Toronto: Historical Atlas Publishing Co., 1906), p. 5.
        ^ Frank Day, Here and There in Eramosa , (Guelph: Leaman Printing Co., 1953), p. 85-86.  Also see appendix 4.                
        ^^ Historical Atlas, p. 12.
        ° Day, p. 42 (insert) Also see Appendix VI.
        °° Day, p. 193.  Also see Martha and Thomas Armstrong.
        ¹º The handwritten document (Appendix III) passed  down to Radcliffe Loghrin, generally agrees with the above information but identifies Mrs. McCullough as Agnes not Ann.
        ¹¹ Leslie Mansell, Armstrong Family Descendant Chart - Version 2.1, Aug. 17, 1993        
        Editor's notes:
William may have had a brother, James, who had an officer's commission and settled north of Montreal and then possibly moved to Upper Canada.  He may also have had a half brother , Robert Robinson, who married Agnes' sister, Elizabeth, and settled in Eramosa.        
William was born in the County of Armagh, Ireland in 1773.  He married Agnes Cooper.  Apparently they lived in Clontibret, County Monaghan before they emigrated as most of their children were born there.
The author of the "Historical Tree" says James Loghrin and his father William came first to America  in 1826.  Agnus [sic], Thomas, and Alexander Loughran [sic] with two children under twelve are listed as passengers on a ship called "Waterloo" leaving Quebec City for Montreal on June 2, 1828.  They travelled in steerage and the total fare paid was 1£ 20s.³  At  that time the trip was a major undertaking.  In 1832, the Tovell family were six weeks on the ocean and another two weeks getting from Quebec City to Guelph.  They too were passengers on a steamer from Quebec to Montreal, then transferred to Durham boats that took them up the St. Lawrence, sometimes towed by horses to Lake Ontario.  A steamboat carried them to Hamilton and a wagon to  Guelph.^*
Harry Loghrin said William made his first money in Canada by buying teams of oxen in Hamilton or Dundas, walking with them up the Guelph Line and reselling them.  The Guelph Line was "a raggedy bush trail that took several days to follow".¹*
James Peters, a neighbour of the Loghrins, wrote that the journey into Eramosa was arduous.  Wagons were often mired in mud and settlers were afraid they wouldn't be able to haul them up and down the steep terrain.²* 
William bought lot 25, concession 2, Eramosa township, County of Wellington, Ontario on Apr. 12, 1828. On Feb. 19, 1830 he purchased the adjoining lot 24 on concession 2 from the Canada Co.* and owned a total of 448 acres.  A seventh of the township was owned by the Canada Company**.   
A portion of the Ontario roadmap
Brothers, William and Thomas Armstrong, settled in Eramosa in 1822 and were among the first settlers on the second line.  They were followed in 1824 by their brother, George.^^  William S. Armstrong, George's son, is shown as William Loghrin's next door neighbour in 1850.°  "Histories of the Loughrin [sic] and Armstrong families show at least three marriages between them".°°

(#22)
(#22)
(#29)
The intersection at the westernmost corner of the homestead became known as Speedside.  See also Appendix VI for Speedside and lot locations. 
In 1830 Rev. A. Bell visited the upper end of Eramosa and found 21 families who wished to be ministered by the Presbyterian Church, promising to contribute from 60 to 75 £ for such services.  The congregation was organized in 1832 and a frame church structure was erected by volunteer labourers on the southeast corner of lot 21, concession 1.  On June 16th, 1838, the first minutes appear on the record of the Session and the elders requested a Preacher as they had not had any preaching on the Sabbath for the last 7 months.  The elders who signed the request were William Armstrong, Thomas Armstrong and William Lochrin [sic].^

The Loghrin Family History
  Home | Preface | Tree/Index | Appendices | Notes | Contact | Rocky Meadows
The Speed River